Syrian Higher Education in Crisis: The Road Forward
Monday, October 7, 2013 at 6:00 pm to 8:00 pm
Theresa Lang Community and Student Center, Arnhold Hall 55 West 13th Street, Room I-202, New York, NY 10011
After more than two years of war and civil unrest, Syria's higher education sector is facing a severe crisis, with educational and research facilities decimated, intellectual production and scientific research put on hold, and thousands of students' education interrupted indefinitely. Join experts on Syria, higher education, and humanitarian intervention to examine the current state of higher education in Syria and among Syrian refugees, and to explore what programmatic interventions the international higher education sector and donor communities might pursue urgently to support Syrian academics and students.
Keynote: Ambassador Rosemary DiCarlo, Deputy Permanent Representative United States Mission to the United Nations
- Amal Alachkar, IIE-SRF Fellow from Syria; Visiting Associate Professor, Department of Pharmacology, University of California, Irvine
- Moaath Al-Rajab, IIE-SRF Fellow from Syria; University in Exile Scholar at Parsons The New School for Design
- Keith Watenpaugh, Associate Professor and Director, Human Rights Initiative, University of California, Davis
Moderator: Allan Goodman, President and CEO, Institute of International Education
- Mark Angelson, Chairman, Institute of International Education's Scholar Rescue Fund
- David Van Zandt, President, The New School
Free; Seating is first come, first served. Please RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Event Type
- Admin Notes
No recent activity